The Headquarters building was dedicated in 1961, and the
Technical Center was created with the renovation of part of Plant 1 in
1988. Completing the Maytag office complex are Research and Development
and the Training Center on the east side of Dependability Square. Upon
his death in 1962, Fred Maytag II was succeeded as chairman of the board
and chief executive officer by George M. Unibreit. E.G. Higdon was named
president of the company at the same time. This marked the first time in
history that the company was not headed by a Maytag. Since then,
professional managers have led Maytag Company, and family members have
not been involved in management. In 1972, Daniel J. Krumm succeeded E.G.
Higdon as Maytag president and treasurer, and two years later he was
named chief executive officer.
Maytag expanded into the growing commercial laundry field. In
1958, the company began manufacturing washers and dryers for commercial
self-service laundries and commercial route operators. Over the years,
the company has introduced many innovations it the commercial laundry
field, including plastic tickets to operate machines rather than coins
and the concept of stacking two regular size dryers. The latter idea
provides customers with their own individual laundry areas, and it saves
space while conserving energy.
To Previous Page
All rights reserved.